Have you recently been to the dentist to have him or her tell you that you have periodontal disease? I am sure it can feel unnerving at first. However, the reality is that the disease is common among adults. While you can rest assured you are not alone, it is important to gain understanding of the disease and make sure you begin treatment right away.
The chances are pretty good that if you are over the age of 15, you or one of your friends have had a run in with wisdom teeth. These teeth are the last and final set of molars to appear. While it isn’t an exact science of when these bad boys will appear, late teens or early twenties tends to be the typical time for most.
Some people can function fine without having any intervention, however, many have to have them removed. Getting wisdom teeth seems like a rite of passage these days, and it happens to be one of the most asked about topics that I hear. So, I thought I would take some time to answer the key questions our patients have about wisdom teeth.
Does visiting a dentist office often times bring you a lot of anxiety and stress? The big question lurking in many people’s minds is, will I have a cavity? Cavities can be painful and costly. While brushing and flossing twice daily is always advised, there is one more super hero that you can make sure is on your side – fluoride.
I have been asked many why is “my tongue swollen and sore.” I have found that the tongue can swell for many reasons. The ones I encounter most are allergies and medications. “Most commonly swellings are due to medications, and allergies” says Lorraine Smith, MD, of the Osborne Head and Neck Institute in Los Angeles. That also has been my experience.
My Back hurts. That is not to be unexpected since I have been a dentist for over 30 years. It has not been so severe to limit my daily activities. I am lucky. But for many it can limit daily activates, work, exercise, sleep and housework. It has been found that most cases of severe back pain go away in four weeks with homecare so you have to be patient.
As you know, in addition to posting pictures of my grandson, I have taken on the saga of sugar and your health.
Some relatively new products are available and I wanted to touch on those and fill you in:
In case you didn’t know: Saliva is a watery substance located in the mouths of most mammals. It is secreted by the salivary glands. Human saliva is 99.5% water, while the other 0.5% consists of a complex mixture of electrolytes, mucus, glycoproteins, enzymes, and other bioactive compounds.
My blog readers know that I have spent a lot of time talking about the harmful and sneaky ways that sugar operates. I understand the feedback I have received, and I know it is very hard to give up sugar. The craving is like an addiction.
So, what to do? What would make a good substitute? I researched the subject, and the Center for the Public Interest has done some work on this subject. According to senior scientist, Lisa Y. Lefferts, there are both good and bad options. This is the outline of their report.
As my loyal readers know, I have been on an anti-sugar crusade of late. Why is this? What is an Encino dentist doing here? Read on. So why is sugar so bad? Is there a simple way to explain this? Here is a different angle on the problem. Think of your poor teeth and heart and follow along.
As a long term Encino dentist, I am concerned about my patients’ health. We all need to know more about the drugs we take. Generic versus brand name drugs is an important decision.
When a drug company develops a new drug it is known as a brand name drug. They are under patent protection. This is to protect the investment of the big drug company or so they say. They have the sole right to manufacture and sell the drug while the patent is in effect and set it’s price.